My family LOVES taco night. It went from “mom do you have the taco kit?” to “Let’s get into making every part of the taco.” What do I mean by that? Well, you’ll see!
I found a recipe for refried beans through a friend and first thought I could do it. It seemed so hard and would take FOREVER, so I stuck with the canned beans. But one day, I just decided to try the recipe. Yes, it does take a while because the beans have to soak overnight but the end result is totally delicious beans that you can eat with a spoon. All I have to say about this recipe is that it is pretty self explanatory but make sure you plan ahead. The beans will need to soak so they don’t have to boil all day.. and they can! *You can also add as much cheese as you would like.. we are a cheese family so I always add a bunch!
Click here to print the recipe
- 2-½ cups Dry Pinto Beans
- 3 quarts Water
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- ½ Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Tablespoons Salt
- After soaking your beans overnight, rinse the bean to get off any dirt.
- Add the beans to a pot and cover with water. Make sure there is at least 3-4 inches of water above the beans or you will have to keep adding water.
- Cook the beans for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the beans are cooked, reserve 1 cup of the water, then drain the rest. Set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onions. Add this to the pot where the beans are and add the reserved cup of water.
- Using a blender (or just mash them if you don’t have one), lightly blend the beans until they’re the consistency you want.
- Season with salt as needed. Keep tasting it occasionally. This is also where you can add more red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!