I LOVE cupcakes. It is a borderline addiction that honestly, I don’t want any help with! I am always on the lookout for new cupcake recipes, and I have recently found a favorite chocolate cake recipe. It is moist, chocolatey, and just overall delicious!
I found this recipe on the back of my Hershey’s Cocoa box, but I have adapted it to suit my tastes.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes Ingredients:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Gently mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Dissolve instant coffee in milk.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to dry mixture and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water – DON’T PANIC! Your batter will be very thin, about the constancy of melted ice cream.The first time I made this, I panicked a little bit at this point, but the hot water is what makes these so super moist.
- The easiest way to measure this is by pouring all of your batter into a large liquid measuring cup, or bowl, with spout. Then you can very easily pour it into cupcake tin. Fill each cupcake about halfway full.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 Sticks Softened, unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or more to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons water (optional)
This can be made in either a mixer or by hand. I prefer a thicker frosting, so I do it by hand to prevent too much air for being added.
- Place your butter in a bowl and mix for a minute to break up stick and get it workable.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, completely incorporating into the butter.
- Add vanilla. Mix for 2-3 minutes. If you frosting is too thick, add 1-2 teaspoons of water to thin.
- Spread on cupcakes and enjoy!!
Jessie is a recently engaged mom of two that has a passion for photography and a love of animals. She is blogging her way through parenthood and life in general on MomVantage. You can also find her on Twitter and on Facebook.